Friday, March 30, 2012

When a Church Is a Church

When I was in high school, the pastor of my church asked me to help him with a special Good Friday service.  He called it a Service of Tenebrae, and it sounded a little strange.  But, always wanting to help, I was recruited to "man" the lights, and was given instructions how to dim the lights as the service progressed.  There was a black drape on the cross, the Communion Table cloth was black, there were seven black candles on Communion Table and one white candle.  And I thought, "What has gotten into our pastor."  What he described seemed at best weird and at worst satanic.  BOY WAS I WRONG!

 The Tenebrae service presented the suffering of Jesus on the cross in such a way that I came close to experiencing the emotions of a disciple watching the crucifixion.  The drama added depth to the simple reading of Scripture, which in itself can be powerful. 

Of course, I have an advantage over the first disciples, for I live on this side of the Resurrection.  So, when I experience a Tenebrae Service, I am overwhelmed with emotions associated with the depths of Christ's love in enduring the Cross, and below that sadness runs a joy, for I know what is going to happen on Sunday morning. 

The truth of the matter is that we cannot celebrate Easter until we come face to face with the cross.  As a matter of fact, I would go so far as to say the Tenebrae Service may by a powerful tool for evangelism.  So bring a friend to our Tenebrae Service, help them to understand the depths of God's love, and maybe they will be touched with an Easter faith on Sunday. 

See you Friday night at 7:30 PM.

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment