Friday, April 6, 2012

It's Good Friday.  Most of the day will seem like any other day.  Most of us went to work.  Some are out ont he golf course. There is activity all around.  But, I hope everyone will remember during the busyness of the day, the significance of this day. 

Early in the morning as the sun rose, Jesus was taken to Pilate.  He had already suffered much, but Pilate who knew Jesus was innocent still had him flogged to appease the religious leaders, but it was not enough.  The leaders still demanded that Jesus be crucified.  The Scriptures seems to indicate that Jesus was handed over to the leaders to be crucified, but it was a soldier who placed a crown of thorns on his head.  The Romans beat Jesus, and all this took place before nine o'clock that morning. 

Mark tells us that it was the third hour (9 AM) when Jesus was crucified.  He was marched to Golgotha and the spikes were nailed.  At noon, darkness covered the land until the ninth hour (3 PM) when Jesus gave up his spirit and breathed his last.

Remember what he said:
"Father forgive them, for they know not what they do."
"Truly, I tell you today, you will be with me in paradise."
"Women, behold your son.  Son, behold your mother."
"My God, My God why have you forsaken me?"
"I thirst."
"It is finished."
"Father, into your hands I commend my spirit."

It was all done for us.  Kind of puts a new perspective on the priorities of the day. 

See you tonight in church -- 7:30 PM

Yours in Christ,
Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment