Thursday, February 14, 2013

Lent and Valentine's Day


          If I were to write a song for the forty days of Lent, today would be a good day as we combine Valentine’s Day and Lent.  I guess it would go something like, “On the second day of Le-ent my true love gave to me a card filled with candy and mints.”  The problem with this song is that Lent is only syllable, where Christmas has two.  The meter is all wrong, thus the le-ent.
          Going to Wikipedia, I found out that Valentine’s Day has a long history that may reach back as far as A. D. 268-270.  One of the legends that surrounds Valentine’s Day, is that when Claudius II (268-270) was emperor of Rome he determined that single men were better and more committed soldiers.  I guess they would stay on the field rather than badger their superiors for leave to go home to be with their families.  Believing that single men with undivided interest were more committed to being soldiers, Claudius II outlawed marriage for young men.  I guess another reason, is that this left Rome with many young single women from whom he could choose and not compete with the young men. 
          St. Valentine recognized the injustice of this decree, and defying Claudius he continued to perform secret marriages for young lovers.  When Valentine was discovered, Claudius had Valentine put to death. 
          Such stories make me wonder about what lengths we will go to in order to stand against injustice.  Hummmm, maybe there is a correlation between Valentine’s Day and Lent. 
          Take away from me the noise of your songs;
                I will not listen to the melody of your harps.
               But let justice roll down like waters,
                and righteousness like an ever-flowing stream.  Amos 5:23-24


          "He will not break a bruised reed or quench a smoldering wick until he brings justice to victory." – Matthew 12:20

No comments:

Post a Comment